Emily Lam

Website           Adventures           Blog  






Friday, January 06, 2012

Favorite Quotations

The new Facebook profile, Timeline, is a clutter mess and creeper friendly. Okay, Facebook profiles have always been creeper friendly. The only pro of Timeline is the nice big photo banner. Aside from that, it's a mess. When I visit somebody's page, it's because I'd like to know a little bit more about who they are as a person. I don't want to know who's been talking to that person. The old Facebook profile did that well. I could easily switch between stalking someone's life to their interests and likes by clicking "Info.' The likes are now on its own separate page. And worst of all, quotations are hidden on the bottom right corner of the new info part. Boo! Too much clicking is needed to find the same information that was once offered on one page. Timeline is a good concept, since people are too lazy to compile their life into a timeline, but it just doesn't work as a social network profile. My opinion. (Maybe Timeline suits everybody else's needs and I just want different things from my social network.)

Since Facebook basically hides my favorite quotations, I thought I'd do them justice and post them proudly on my blog. =]

"Hope is when you step into the darkness and think only two things, either the next step is solid ground or you will grow wings and fly."
This is a quotation I helped write. I'm pretty sure I stole the idea from somewhere and simplified it into a sentence. But this is my definition of hope. And I'm a hopeful person.

"Cross your heart, do it!" - Ellie, Pixar's Up
This reminds me that you sometimes just have to commit and follow through.

"Don't avoid the clichés - they are cliches because they work!" - George Lucas
I've always liked clichés. I like being unique but some of the best things around are unoriginal and have been around forever. This reminds me that its okay to be mainstream and unoriginal.

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” - Neil Gaiman
Oh Neil Gaiman. He's a man of wisdom. If you follow his blog, you'd know. He's telling us that risks are risks, sometimes deadly, but sometimes you can fly. Truth of the matter.

"Take Chances, Make Mistakes, Get Messy!" - Ms. Frizzle, Magic School Bus
I seem to have multiple quotations about taking chances. I like this one in particular because in Magic School Bus taking chances, making mistakes, and getting messy was always fun. Taking chances isn't always a serious event. It's fun! Adventurous! =]

"Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one remembers to turn on the light." - Professor Dumbledore
Dumbledore is the epitome of wisdom! He has so many wise words. This is one of my favorite. (Although it is not from the books but the films.) Basically, when everything boils down, it's all perspective. All you.

"It's not about how to achieve your dreams. It's about how to lead your life. If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Pausch
This quotation I like because Randy Pausch like me dreamt of becoming a Disney Imagineer. And he's telling us, me, don't just aim to accomplish a goal. Live your life right and the way you want to, and karma will be on your side. The dreams will follow. (Randy Pausch also said, "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity," which I talked a little about at the end of this post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment